• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

messy situation, unable to get any help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Starmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mine: Iowa; estate: New York

Parents had mutual will; father passed away 2003, mother in 2009.
Executor evidently bypassed their will & revisions entirely- never filed anything with the court (probate), never distributed anything to my kids or myself including what the will & revisions stated my parents were leaving to us.

I've been trying all year to find an attorney in NY to assist with this matter, but every one I've tried to contact brushed me off & I don't know any personally.
The more time that passes the more likely it is executor (my brother) will get away with claiming everything.

First, can someone advise me how to find a NY attorney who can help?
and second, does my parents' attorney have no responsibility at all in this matter?
When they drew up their will & revisions, they assumed their wishes would be carried out. As I live in a different state, I'm totally at a loss about what to do.

anteater

First, can someone advise me how to find a NY attorney who can help?
I'm curious why attorneys have "brushed you off." Is this a very small estate?

Any way, you can try this link at the FreeAdvice site:
https://attorneypages.com/

and second, does my parents' attorney have no responsibility at all in this matter?
No. If your brother was nominated as the executor in the will, it is brother's responsibility to open probate. If your brother dawdles, then you need to force the issue and petition the court to open probate and order that brother produce the will.

Have you contacted your parents' attorney about representing you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">