• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Miller - QIT Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (Kentucky)?

I am the P.O.A. for my sister who is in nursing care in Kentucky.

Medicaid has required a Qualifying Income Trust (QIT) with a dedicated bank account, since she receives annuities and disability.

I opened a special account titled. "Irrevocable Qualifying Income Trust (my sister's name)"

Until now, her annuities and her disability has been directly deposited into a simple conservator account for her - titled (my sister's name), (my name), P.O.A.

I don't quite understand the instructions for how I am supposed to route her annuities and disability income through the new, QIT Trust bank account.

Do I have her income deposited directly in this new account, then pay out the expense to the nursing home from there?

Or, do I transfer it to this account from the original account, then pay out the expense to the nursing home?

Despite the fact that Medicaid requires this, I can't seem to get any direct answers from Medicaid operators as to how to handle this. I am located in California, so I am unable to visit her assigned Medicaid worker, and it's impossible to contact them directly.

Advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Having trouble with the instructions

Thank you for your reply, I'm the father.

I already have a prepared trust - Kentucky Legal Aid prepared it for me. I also have some instructions that were provided with the trust document, I am just having a hard time understanding them. Same with the link that you provided. I don't know if it's because there's TOO MUCH legalese in there tripping me up. :p

All I want to know is - do I now route all her annuity payments and her disability to her new, QIT Trust bank account? Or, do I make a transfer from the account the payments have been going to all this time?

Thanks again for any replies.

I'mTheFather

Thank you for your reply, I'm the father.

I already have a prepared trust - Kentucky Legal Aid prepared it for me. I also have some instructions that were provided with the trust document, I am just having a hard time understanding them. Same with the link that you provided. I don't know if it's because there's TOO MUCH legalese in there tripping me up. :p

All I want to know is - do I now route all her annuity payments and her disability to her new, QIT Trust bank account? Or, do I make a transfer from the account the payments have been going to all this time?

Thanks again for any replies.
Since they helped prepare it, you may want to call Legal Aid with your questions. However, another page at their site says that you can decide how much of your sister's income can go into the trust, and that you can deposit it monthly. In other words, it need not be direct deposited into the trust account.

http://kyjustice.org/node/1273

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">