• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misappropriation of minors Bank Accounts by Executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SRMacedo

What is the name of your state? California
:mad: My mother passed away in June of 1995, and her brother, my Uncle was appointed to be the administrator of the Estate by myself, and my 2 siblings. My mother died intestate, and her brother was a Corporate Attorney for Exxon in the past. We felt there was no other choice. Anyway, my mother had two houses, a business (gift shop), several bank accounts, one an IRA which I was the benefactor of, and a Certificate of Deposit Account. The later is the account that I have concerns and questions about. This account was in the name of my mother, intrust for my son (who was and still is a minor). At the time of her death, there was roughly $53,000.00 in this account. When the entire family met with the Probate Attorney to appoint my Uncle as Administrator, I brought up this account, and was told that it was not considered to be part of the estate. This account for my son should have gone straight to me, to have set up in another trust account for my son without my mothers name on it.

Instead, about one year after mom's death, I bought a house. I had to ask my Uncle for the bank account information so I could take care of transfering these funds and using a portion of them for my down payment, which was to be paid back to my son with interest when the estate finally closed. He managed to call the Bank of America in Clearlake from the Bay Area, and have the C.D. held in trust for my son transferred into the Estate account which was also held at Bank of America. I don't have absolute proof that his legal knowledge and language played a major role in accomplishing this fraudulent task, but he was not entitled to these funds, and I feel he embezzeled from the estate. I finally hired an attorney to fight him and recover my sons trust account in late 1998. Four years after my mother passed away I finally got what was left in the Smith Barney account my Uncle had set up. He managed to convince my Attorney that I would have squandered the money away and that he would not release the account unless control of these funds were in the Courts hands.

First of all, out of the three children my mother had, I was the one closest to her. I rented her second house which was 5 away from the house she lived in, we ate dinner together every night the past 5 years prior to her death, therefore I knew and understood perfectly well what she wanted to see the money spent on. It was education, and only education.

I wanted my hired Attorney to file criminal charges as well as sue my Uncle for the lost interest, however my Uncle managed to talk my attorney into agreeing to drop all fees and penalties as well as any criminal charges against him as long as he released every cent in this Mutual Fund account he set up. My attorney agreed, without my consent, and without asking to see some type of documentation stating what the balance was in the account. She was faxed the initial opening activities by both Smith Barney and my Uncle. After they made this agreement, we recovered only $43,000.00 out of the $54,000.00. The original account my mother had set up was only making about 4% every 6 months, but these funds were left sitting in the Estate account for over 2 years not earning a dime before they were reinvested into the Mutual Funds by the Administrator. My attorney set up an account for my son at the local bank we both agreed upon. The $41,000.00 that was left was deposited into a 1 year Certificate of Deposit which comes due every May 19th. To my knowledge, no taxes were ever paid or filed on my sons behalf while the Administrator was handeling moms estate. The heirs never even got to see the prepared final Income taxes of my mothers estate because then we would be able to prove my Uncle was skimming rather large amounts of money from the estate and us.

My son suffers from ADHD as well as learning disabilities, and the Public School system is failing my child severely. I asked the Judge to rule that I would be entitled to withdraw a specific amount out of this account at maturity each and every year for the purpose of paying for private schooling for my son. He did, however, one year after setting up this account, the only Private School located in this side of the County was not educating any better than the public schools. So when the deposit matured, I petitioned the court to release $2,500.00 to me for the purchase of a new computer and educational software that would impliment his education with added home studies. My requests were granted at a cost of $300.00 to the attorney for typing up the papers. I am totally disabled from an on the job injury sustained while working in the capacity as a Correctional Officer with the County of Lake. The fee of $300.00 which I was required to pay the Attorney for copying my documents onto her pleading letterhead paper was way out of line. I barely could afford it. Since my son earned $1,400.00+\- that year, I also filed his taxes and was required to pay over $200.00 in tax and preperation fees one month before the deposit reached maturity. I refused taking the court approved amount out of the account prior to maturity as the early withdrawal fees were quite excessive, and I felt that my child had already lost over $10,000.00 while my Uncle was controlling his money.

I've done nothing that would resemble squandering where my chids trust fund is concerned, unlike my Uncle. My question is: Can Bank of America be held responsible for transferring this account into the Estate account when it was NO part of the Estate and the Administrator had no Legal rights to the funds? Did I mention that the Branch closed shortly after the funds were transferred? I've tried getting information from Bank of America over the phone, but because the Branch had closed and moved out of the area, nobody could give me any information. All of the accounts were given new account numbers that matched the Branch in Lakeport. Since incompetence has been demonstrated by the Administrator of the Estate in regards to this trust fund, I feel it is safe to say that the same has more than likely been done with the assets of the Estate. How does one hold the Administrator responsible, and at the same time obtain all of the documents removed from the Estate as well as created while in his control? I know the Real Estate was under valued by him, and what happened to the funds of the Business? All of the merchandise was paid for by my mother. We were told that the Business took a huge loss. How come the completed tax returns were never shown to us to review? There has to be some type of law that would allow me alone, or with my siblings to have the Accounting records reviewed by the courts.

Lastly, is there any way I can have control of my sons trust account changed from being Court Controlled to being controlled by the Legal Guardian/Parent? I am not in a financial position to afford the Attorney fees incurred just to ask reimbursement of the Income Taxes paid each year, let alone the fact that waiting until May when the account matures to withdraw funds for private education is too late in the year. My child needs to have some intervention now or he may never make it out of Junior High School. I could enroll him into Sylvan online, which is an excellent program that focuses on his learning disabilities and teaches using various proven methods allowing the student to learn in spite of the disabilities. This program costs about $500.00 to be assessed and enroll, then it's around $50.00 per hour with an average of 8 hours per week spent by each student.

I only want the best for my son, and I feel as though I have failed him as a parent because I cannot provide him with the specialized education he requires. What good does it do to save these funds held in trust for a minor, that were intended to be used on Higher Education if the minor will never pass the 8th grade as long as he is kept in his current situation? How many young men return to high school at the age of 25? None! If I don't find a way to help him now, all the money in the world won't do him any good later on.

Any advice or guidance you could provide me with would be extremely appreciated. As I stated earlier, I am disabled and trying to provide for my two children, ages 11 and 12, with Social Security Disability Income. Each month gets harder and harder to pull it off! I earn barely enough to pay the monthly bills, anything additional (like shoes) will not fit into the budget no matter what way I try to squeeze it in.

Thank you agian,

Susan Macedo

Dandy Don

If you have not already done so, you need to look at the probate file at the county courthouse to see exactly what financial information (if any) has been provided and whether the CD is mentioned anywhere there or not (and there is a small chance that copies of the estate income tax forms might be there). Since the estate was probably closed at the time he transferred the CD into the estate account, he probably does not feel a need to account for it now.

You all could have (and probably should have) hired a probate attorney to handle your mother's estate, but perhaps you didn't know that back in 1995. It was not necessary to appoint uncle as personal administrator although it is understandable why you would ask him.

--------------------------------------

CD ACCOUNT:

(1) Is there ANYTHING IN WRITING that this CD was to be held in trust for your son or was that just a basic understanding between you and your mother that was just verbal?

(2) Was the CD held in just your mother's name only or was there someone else's name on it as co-owner? Did you find out from the bank whether she filled out a beneficiary designation form that would have allowed this money to go directly to you or your son? If your name was on the account or on the designated beneficiary form, then you are correct in stating that it should have gone to you to set up another trust account. I somehow get the feeling that your name probably did appear on the CD as account co-owner (and the bank should have given the money to you) but I'm guessing the administrator manipulated the bank into giving it to him, which is improper and illegal and an abuse of his authority.

I'm guessing that Bank of A. can not be held responsible for transferring the money into the estate account, since they were only following the instructions of the administrator. The only way that the bank could be held responsible is if they KNEW you or someone else was the designated account co-owner or beneficiary, since they should have paid that person and not given funds to the administrator.

-------------------------------------

WHERE IS EVIDENCE OF THEFT?

Part of the problem is that it seems as if you don't have documented evidence from either the Smith Barney account or from the estate bank account that proves EXACTLY how much money you say he stole. Although I agree with you that he probably did steal, your attorney on the Smith Barney case probably should have gotten this documentation from Smith Barney and/or the estate bank account, and you should have mentioned your concerns about this to her (which you probably did and she probably ignored you), but it does seem like your attorney "dropped the ball" as far as this aspect.

(3) Why were you only able to get $43,000 from the Smith Barney account--was it reduced in value (from $53K to $43K) because of a decline in the stock market or because the administrator made unauthorized withdrawals or is it justifiable brokerage transactions fees charged by Smith Barney? Administrator should have been asked to provide any and all documentation from Smith Barney and from the estate bank account that shows the history of all transactions and an accounting statement that lists what each item was for. Now it seems like the only way you could get that info is to file a lawsuit and obviously you can't afford to pay the legal fees it would cost to do this.

The excuse that the bank gave you about the branch being closed is a very poor excuse and not reasonable--no matter when a transaction occurred or if the account numbers were later changed, there is ALWAYS A RECORD kept (in storage and/or on microfilm) of every transaction that took place, and therefore the records ARE available and they know how to find them.

-----------------------------------------

CONTROL OF TRUST ACCOUNT

It is NOT very likely that you would ever get control of your son's trust account changed to yourself, since that is the main reason a trust account is set up, so that money could be kept safe for your son's use until he reaches the age of adulthood and so that you would also not fall prey to the strong temptation to use his money for some other purpose.

If you needed to borrow money for a down payment on your house, you should go to a bank or credit union. You made an innocent mistake in telling the administrator that you wanted to use a portion of the trust money for the down payment (even though I believe you honestly intended to repay), since he is going to twist that in his favor to falsely tell the court that you were going to use that as an excuse to try to get ALL of the money for yourself.

(4) Do the court documents or trust account records state specifically that the money is to be used only for "higher education"? If so, then the court is going to interprete that to mean A COLLEGE EDUCATION and therefore, might be a little bit reluctant to pay out the money for any other reason. Since your son has special needs for educational intervention NOW, you can make a convincing argument that you need to petition the court for the money for his "secondary education" NOW and explain why he may not every qualify to go to college, and try to get a teacher or an education expert to write you a letter in support of that idea. Court will probably be sympathetic to you in your special situation and would probably allow your request, but you must be able to explain in detail (perhaps 1-3 pages) the costs and the valid medical/psychological reasons that justify the expense. And also ask for the computer again at the same time.

(5) If the Sylvan Online Course is the best for him, then that is reasonable (and I applaud you for finding out about it), but how many hours in total will he need to complete their program and what is the total cost?

(6) Have you checked your local phone book to see if there is a local office for Sylvan available in your city where a personal tutor could give him better attention, or is there another type of tutoring that would accomplish the same results less expensively?

(7) Could your son reasonably be considered to be going on to high school and/or college, or will the Sylvan Course be the end of his education?

---------------------------------------------------------------

CD IS NOT THE CORRECT INVESTMENT CHOICE FOR YOUR SITUATION

(8) Who made the decision about putting the money in a CD? It was a poor choice. A certificate of deposit is NOT where this money should be, since the money is "locked in and tied up" for years. Talk to the bank (usually a customer service clerk or trust department employee) about the type of account which would be best for your child's situation--that would allow the money to gain interest while at the same time being able to make infrequent withdrawals when needed. I'm guessing that they will probably suggest a money market account or savings account (with either account still being designated as being held in trust for your child).

You will need to ask the court for permission to change the type of account or perhaps the court can suggest another alternative. If approved, to get it converted now, you will have no choice but to go ahead and cash in the CD now and go ahead and have the excessive fee deducted for early withdrawal, unless you decide to wait until May. But at least WHENEVER it is converted you will then have the advantage of being able to make a court-approved withdrawal without having the money tied up, and it will also be gaining small interest. Also try to find out from the court who would be responsible for making decisions about the trust account if you were to unexpectedly die, so you will know if you need to be filling out a guardianship form now or if you need to prepare your own will.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to be talking to a local probate attorney to find out whether you have rights as an heir to see the estate income tax forms. The administrator's telling you that the business "took a huge loss" is also a snow job and he needs to back up what he says by providing records (business tax forms and income statements and bank account statements) to prove it.

You may also want to talk to your local district attorney about the possibility of filing charges in this white collar crime. If you get the evidence you need, you probably do have a strong case that you could win, but would it be worth the legal fee expense and time and trouble in court? Maybe not.

Please mention what city this administrator lives in and whether he is still working as an attorney now or not. If I were you I would want to file a complaint against him with the California State Bar Association to accuse him of misappropriation and/or abuse of executor/administrator authority (be careful not to accuse him of embezzlement until you get proof). They will begin an investigation that he will have to answer to, and there would be no cost to you, but you might have to attend 1 or 2 hearings to present your explanation. To defend himself, he would have to produce the records you ask for and it is a somewhat embarrassing position for him to have to be in.

I wish you the best of luck in getting this matter straightened out, but it will be an uphill battle, but if you are persistent, patient and determined, I think eventually justice will be done for your son and this dishonest administrator will have to pay back all or most of the money he wrongly took! Seems like it would be next to impossible to try to find a good attorney who would represent you for free.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">