• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom is deceased & land was left by father-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shellm34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My mother passed away and was married to her husband over 25 years. They own a farm with 11 acres and she was employed the entire time. The home and property is in both their names. Her husband will not show us ( her 4 children) the will. His father recently past and left 30 acres to my mother and him. He showed up and wanted us to sign off on the land but, only had the last page where the signatures are required. We refused because he didn't show us the entire document nor, the will. Are we entitled to anything that was left to my mom?

Thank you, from Ohio

anteater

I think that you will need to clarify the timeline. Who passed away first? Your mother or her husband's father? And is it her husband's father's land that he was asking you to "sign off on?"

Good general rule to refuse to sign anything unless you understand what you are signing.

Dandy Don

Check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed--if it has been, you can get a copy there.

At some point you will need to consult a local probate attorney.

shellm34

My mother passed away first about 1 year ago. Her husband's father passed recently. He wants us to sign off on the land his father left to him and my mom. It's very upsetting that he's not being honest and upfront. But, this is his nature and very narcissistic.
I sincerely appreciate your time.

ShyCat

Since your mother died before her father-in-law, you'd have no rights to the inherited property unless the father-in-law's will included specific "per stirpes" language that passed her share of the inheritance to her decendents if his daughter-in-law predeceased him. Unlikely, in my opinion.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My mother passed away and was married to her husband over 25 years. They own a farm with 11 acres and she was employed the entire time. The home and property is in both their names. Her husband will not show us ( her 4 children) the will. His father recently past and left 30 acres to my mother and him. He showed up and wanted us to sign off on the land but, only had the last page where the signatures are required. We refused because he didn't show us the entire document nor, the will. Are we entitled to anything that was left to my mom?

Thank you, from Ohio
If mom and husband owned their house as husband and wife, as Jt Tenants, then the will would not have any bearing on their property, as it automatically becomes the property of the surviving spouse. How was title held?

shellm34

The title of their home is in both their names. I wonder why he's being so sneaky about the will and signing off? My family would have signed off but, because he is being so deceptive it has made us angry. Thanks for your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">