• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom in hospice...trying to get all docs ready..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tusol95

What is the name of your state? CA
My mom has just joined the hospice program, and wants to leave all her legal matters in order. She has a pension she will be receiving soon. She wants some money distributed to other relatives including my dad. She wants my older sister to help run her trust.
She plans on putting her pension money in an IRA, and having my sister be the beneficiary to help distribute the money. The question we have is that she owns a home, the title is under her name and my dad. But the loan is only under her name, what happens in this case?
Would my dad need to get his own loan after she passed away?
She she have a will or a living trust? What are there differences? My mom only has her pension money and that newly purchased home with my dad.

seniorjudge

Q: The question we have is that she owns a home, the title is under her name and my dad. But the loan is only under her name, what happens in this case? Would my dad need to get his own loan after she passed away?

A: Generally, if the loan is being paid on time, the lender never knows the difference and so does not require any new loan. (Obviously, your lender could be different.)

Q: She she have a will or a living trust? What are there differences? My mom only has her pension money and that newly purchased home with my dad.

A: You said she had a trust. In any event, make a list of all her assets and make sure they are where they should go when she passes. The house it sounds like you have taken care of. (Dad gets it.) Make sure that whoever's name is on the pension and bank accounts and vehicles, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">