• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom Was Threatened By My Siblings To Remove Me From Her Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gido

I purchased a business/store 30 years ago from my parents. I have the contract of sale. My husband and I have put in 16 hour days for 30 years building up this business to the successful business it is today. The business is located on the ground floor of what is my parents residence. There are several apartments in this building. One of which my parents occupied.

My parents also gave me a lease on the business, which expired several years ago. Before it expired, my mother renewed the lease for an additional 25 years. My siblings did not know about this newly extended lease. My mother was of sound mind and body and did this graciously and legally for me. My father had passed on before this. There are approximately 22 years left on the current lease. Shortly after the first lease expired, my mother informed my siblings about the newly extended lease. This is when our trouble began.

To make a long story short, within a few months of the new lease being revealed, my mother and I were threatened by my siblings to rip up the lease. My mother refused and insisted that this was exactly what my father and she wanted for me.

Days later, my mother had completely changed her disposition. Being influenced by my siblings, she too insisted I rip up the lease and threatened to disown me. All of my family soon stopped speaking to me completely when I refused.

Three years have past, and my mother has now passed on. It has now been revealed to us that approximately two months after my family stopped speaking to me, my mother had changed her will. She had taken me out of the will completely.

I have a copy of her original will of which I am included. I am now in the process of challenging the validity of this newly created will.

I would appreciate and suggestions and/or opinions on where I stand in this case and where I should go from here.

Thank you in advance.

Be prepared to get your own Atty and spend a substantial amount of money to contest the new Will if indeed it is valid.

Also be prepared for the estate to shrink as the executor can and will spend from it to fight any suit you bring.

Why the sudden hatred by the sibs and Mom? Were the siblings aware of your business transactions all along or did they see all this as possibly taking advantage of the Parents?

gido

freespeech said:
Why the sudden hatred by the sibs and Mom? Were the siblings aware of your business transactions all along or did they see all this as possibly taking advantage of the Parents?
They were not aware of the business transactions because my mother did not want anyone to know. They do believe I forced my mother into giving me this extended lease, which is completely untrue.

Dandy Don

What is total value of the estate and the total value of the lease?

You don't have any legal ground to stand on--mom had the right to disinherit you if she wanted to.

Any share you might get from this estate would be eaten up by large legal bills. Go on with your life and forget about this.

Does the language in the will specifically disinherit you by name or was your name just omitted from it?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">