• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bjzmzteach

My mother passed away two weeks ago and just a few months prior to her passing she signed a new will. Our family lives in Washington State which is a community property state. Mom's new will doesn't include my father, it only lists my sister and I as the beneficiaries of the estate. Two questions. Does this mean everything that they owned is now split whether her name was on the title or not. And second, when we go to the lawyer how is the best way to divide the assets. I've been told that whether her name was on stuff or not she still laid claim to the asset. So as being name the executor of her estate I don't know which way to turn?

ALawyer

First, my condolences.

The Will only distributes property that is in your mother's name. Jointly held property passes by operation of law.

If your mother had a capable lawyer working with her, she probably, with your father, did things just right, splitting up assets before death to minimize hassle and taxes. Stop worrying and see what was done.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

A

advisor10

Questions About Estate Handling

11-13-2000

You can discuss any questions you have about your mother's estate with the attorney that you are planning to see. I assume that the attorney you will see will be one whose specialty is probate/estate matters--if not, you need to see one who does.

Each state's laws are different and you will need to know what laws apply to your particular situation. You really do need to speak with attorney so that everything will be done properly and no loopholes are left open.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">