• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother died no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

odietrek

What is the name of your state? My state is Maryland. My mother passed away before we had her sign a will. She has a home but no other major assets . I have access to her small savings which I am using to pay her remaining bills. Can I get access to the house or will I lose it to the state? :eek:

divgradcurl

odietrek said:
What is the name of your state? My state is Maryland. My mother passed away before we had her sign a will. She has a home but no other major assets . I have access to her small savings which I am using to pay her remaining bills. Can I get access to the house or will I lose it to the state? :eek:
Go down to the courthouse in the county where your mother died (or go to there website) and open up a probate action for your mother's estate. As long as there are living heirs, there is no reason why the house would go to the state -- but you'll need to go through probate to get the house transferred to the heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">