• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother is ill, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsmilansky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My mom suffers from severe bi-polar disorder as well as other physical difficulties that limit her ability to care for herself. At this point, my two brothers and I are fully aware that we will be taking care of her for the rest of her life (financially and physically). Recently, my parents - they are divorced - sold a piece of property in a foreign country and are splitting the profits. Since my mom currently lives with my grandparents and has no tangible need for the money, we have deemed it appropriate to establish a secure account or trust, which we want to access when we need to take care of her in the future. I should also mention that my mom has accrued a sizable amount of debt, but since she has no use for good credit, we do not see it fit that she pay it off. What is the best option for us to secure the money she received and prevent it from being taxed?

Thank you in advance.

Kiawah

Take the money, and pay off her debt.....so I don't have to pay for the debt in higher rates and taxes.

dsmilansky

Kiawah,

You will then have to pay for the government to take care of my mother via social support systems because we will not be able to financially support her. We are not going to pay the debt - it is highly inflated by interest from the credit companies.

dsmilansky

Ok, presuming that we pay off the debt, how can we protect the remaining money out of her reach to care for her in the future?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">