• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother-in-law's death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weaverterry48

what is the name of your state?Michigan
My mother-in-law died about a year ago in the state of louisiana. She was in a nursing home for about 5 yrs dying at the age of 100. The nursing home was taking her S.S and other assets(house) about 9,000 dollars. The family received a bill from the state saying we owe 135,000,for the balance of nursing home care. My husband signed nothing when she was admitted in the nursing home,but his brother who lives in La. did. Are we liable for this bill???

BlondiePB

weaverterry48 said:
what is the name of your state?Michigan
My mother-in-law died about a year ago in the state of louisiana. She was in a nursing home for about 5 yrs dying at the age of 100. The nursing home was taking her S.S and other assets(house) about 9,000 dollars. The family received a bill from the state saying we owe 135,000,for the balance of nursing home care. My husband signed nothing when she was admitted in the nursing home,but his brother who lives in La. did. Are we liable for this bill???
As long as your husband did not sign anything making him a guarantor, he is not liable for the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">