• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lamjam

My mother has been gone for almost 2 yrs now and her estate is not yet settled. My mother named my sister as executor of the will. Very little has been done. My mother's lawyer has been after my sister to get this thing settled asap. Can he charge a fee for keeping the estate open like this for so long? My sister lives in Maine.
Thanks for your help!

lamjam

A

advisor10

2-20-2002

DEAR LAMJAM:

Does she have a good reason for delaying the closing of the estate? I say she probably doesn't. She just doesn't want to see the other heirs get anything, right?

You should file a motion with the court to replace her as executor, or ask your mother's lawyer to file a pleading with the probate court to ask the executor to make an accounting of what she has already done for this estate and explain the reason for the delay. After the court finds out she is stalling, that is improper if not illegal, and they will order her to get moving. Just having the attorney nag her doesn't seem to be working.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">