• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kyldy

I am looking for some advice concerning my mother's will and her estate. My mother passed away a few months ago and is still in the process of distributing her assets. The problem that I'm having is that her husband (of only 8 years) is claiming part of her personal things...........he says that he paid for them and can prove it with reciepts. Those things belonged to her. I can't prove who paid for those items....there are only a few of them..........but, I do know for a fact that they belonged to her. I live in Florida and she lived in Kentucky. She and her husband did sign a prenuptual agreement that simply stated that each person would only retain their personal belongings and such. There was a will but it didn't list individual items. It just stated who was to inherit the estate........which is myself. I am wondering what legal rights to I have to her personal belongings and where would I look for help.............Florida? or Kentucky? Any advice?
Thanks!

ALawyer

First "only 8 years" is NOT a short time --and if this was a happy marriage, the husband may be grieving too. Be sensitive.

Second, if the Will says you get all her assets that's what it says. All HER assets.

But under the laws of most states a spouse can elect to receive a share of the estate. Often a Pre-Nup does away with the right of election, but I don't know what your mothers said, not if it was valid.

If she was a KY resident, that's where you look for a lawyer to advse you. It may make sense to consult with one -- recogniizing it costs a few hunderd dollars, to straighten things out and keep them from getting more expensive or just plain ugly.

K

kyldy

Thanks for the info. My thoughts were where some of her things legally belong?............to her estate or to the person that says that they paid for them? One item was a gift to her for several years and now they want it back.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">