• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's will left all to stepfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZoeP

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My mother passed away last year. Her will left everything to my stepfather. We have a very loving relationship with our stepfather and my mother was my best friend. Stepfather was to distribute belongings (if not money) as she had discussed with us all. 8 months later, he is still not ready. It has been very hard for my brother and myself as we live so far away. We have been patient but believe it is now time. However, since in the will it is all left to the stepfather, we can not force him to do anything. Now we are starting to get concerned that we may never have our mother's belongings (heirlooms, antiques, family photos & videos all before her marriage to stepfather). What should I do? Is there anything that I can do? Do we have any legal rights? Do we have any rights to monetary assets? Also, we are concerned because if something were to happen to stepfather, we know that it will all go to his grown children and they will be certain to give us nothing. My mother would not have wanted things this way. I am sure that she did not anticipate this situation. Thank you so much.

BelizeBreeze

Until stepfather is ready you have nothing to do but wait.

If mom left him everything in the will then you have no legal rights to anything, much less to hound him.

ZoeP

Hound him???

Where in my question did I refer to hounding him? I have shown nothing but love and compassion for my stepfather since my mothers death and have mentioned nothing to him of my concerns. This forum seemed like a nice, appropriate place to get some feedback from professionals or others that may have had similar experiences without calling an attorney or causing friction. I would never do anything to upset my stepfather or anything that my mother would not want done and your assumption as so, during this difficult, emotional time, is rude and hurtful. I love my stepfather very much and just had concerns. It was a mistake to post here, obviously. I thought this forum was for questions, answers and facts, not presumed guilty judgement.

rmet4nzkx

The advice you received was accurate, sometimes the legal reality is not so pleasant. Now, if you have a good relationship with your stepfather, there might come a time when he is able to deal with these things? Have you offered to help him with your mother's things or asked him if you will be able to have your family heirlooms at some time in the future, afterall, his children won't want them. If it was clear prior to her death that was her wish, he shouldn't mind, but perhaps he want's the things there while he grieves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">