• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mrs. Gloria Conners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onlyonecl

I live in Nebraska, however, my in-laws live in Wisconsin and my question is this. My mother-in-law has just passed away, leaving a very meager will. My father-in-law survives, however, his will is very meager (both in-laws are on government assistance). In the event there's not enough funds available to pay for outstanding debts, are the adult children responsible?

BelizeBreeze

onlyonecl said:
I live in Nebraska, however, my in-laws live in Wisconsin and my question is this. My mother-in-law has just passed away, leaving a very meager will. My father-in-law survives, however, his will is very meager (both in-laws are on government assistance). In the event there's not enough funds available to pay for outstanding debts, are the adult children responsible?
Not unless they are co-owners of any real property.

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Not unless they are co-owners of any real property.
I agree and add, not unless they have otherwise agreed to be responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">