• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Brothers Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnboy1.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Before my brother died he said that he was going to leave me specific personal items that he owned. He has since passed away and his wife dislikes myself and my brothers family. Is she obligated to disperse his personal affects as he intended or can she simply do it her way?

justalayman

Does he have a will? If so the executor is obligated to comply
with the directives listed. If there is no will his wife is not obligated to give you anything.

adjusterjack

He did have a will and I would assume she is the executrix.
That might or might not help.

Start with a visit to the local probate court where your brother died and see if a probate case has been opened. The will should be in the case file and you can get a copy and see if there are any specific bequests to you.

If there is no case file it's possible that they owned everything jointly and it all went to the spouse under right of survivorship and you wouldn't be entitled to anything nor would the wife have any legal obligation to give you the time of day.

You might just have to resign yourself to that fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">