• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter's dad left his little brother as the beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anaya83

Indiana.My daughters dad named her in his policy but then I believed she was removed due to being a minor and putting his little brother as the beneficiary to give my daughter the money. Is there anyway she can be untitled to that money with out him having access to the funds and not giving it to her once all that no at gets in his hands?

Anaya83

My daughters dad named her in his policy but then I believed she was removed due to being a minor and putting his little brother as the beneficiary to give my daughter the money. Is there anyway she can be intitled to that money with out him having access to the funds and not giving it to her once all that money gets in his hands?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My daughters dad named her in his policy but then I believed she was removed due to being a minor and putting his little brother as the beneficiary to give my daughter the money. Is there anyway she can be intitled to that money with out him having access to the funds and not giving it to her once all that money gets in his hands?
I am going to assume that your daughter's dad has recently passed away. If the insurance names somebody else as the beneficiary, then that person is entitled to the money. They can be generous and share if they like but they are not legally required to.

If dad has not passed away, then, on behalf of your daughter, speak to her dad about it.

commentator

He sure must have a lot of faith in his little brother if he "intended" him to share this money but left no legal directions regarding it. If it hasn't happened yet, speak up. If it has...well.

Dandy Don

He needs to prepare a last will and testament that gives instructions about who should distribute the policy money to his daughter after his death, and he can still leave her name designated as beneficiary if he chooses to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">