• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My estate lawyer won't talk to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TrentDuke

Thanks for that quick reply.

In the state of KY, probate only lasts 2 years. For us it ends on Feb 26, 2005...the 2 yr mark from the time my uncle got personal representative status from the court. Is your state different? I guess the estate can be held up if someone is "contesting" the will but do not see how they can simply hold it up for no reason with a time date, do you?

We are trying to build a case to get my uncle removed. The only case we have is that he allowed is father to go into the home by giving in a key to move things. In that process, his father took it upon himself to do as he pleased with many of the items in the house, some of great value. I do have pics of some of the stuff but not everything his dad had either stolen out right or gave it away to his renters such as entire bedroom set, washer, 2 peice china cabinet and kitchen table. The last two items were appraised by an appraiser so we have some proof.

The thing is during my uncle's 1st inventory report cough cough that he was late on, did not list the value of "household goods." Our lawyer originally said that he must list those things but now has said he doesn't have to if it only amounts to a few grand.

Not only are we fustrated with my uncle but our lawyer as well cause we are finding out he doesn't know much himself except how to bill us lol.

He is cautioning against trying to get my uncle removed cause it is hard to do plus it will cost us an additional $2K at least. My arguement would be to do so to put pressure on my uncle. If he gets removed, not only can we then sue him to pay for our lawyer expense, he has to pay for his own personal lawyer and he might lose some of his bond money. If he goes forward to try and add his daughter on the will by our pressure, that is a good thing too. Cause we want him to go to court and let the court decide. But we honestly think and he knows he only has a small chance so he is just holding back hoping we give in and simply allow his 1 yr old an equal for $26K or so.

Trent

J

JMJ

The courts look at it as who ever is named personal representative was chosen by the decease, and give them the benifit of the doubt. You have to prove that the trust was misplaced. It's difficult. All most attorney's are interested in is their fees, not your inheritance. They could care less how much you end up with.....only themself. Good luck, but with the amount you stated, it's probably better for you to wait until the end of it, and then you should have 30 days to disagree. Check your laws, but that would be the cheapest way to go.....otherwise, you will spend all your inheritance on legal fees. Good luck.

Dandy Don

Please do not make the mistake of writing a letter to the judge--that would be considered a serious error--the judge is supposed to remain impartial and unbiased and is only allowed to hear all of the evidence during a regular court proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">