• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Father Stole My Trust.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bleu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I'm a 24 year old woman and I've recently stumbled upon my parents divorce decree, stating that a Merill Lynch account (with the number listed) would pay for all of my college tuition. After some investigation, I've discovered that that account was a part of a trust that was willed to me from my great grandfather, of which I was a declared beneficiary. However, I've never received any word of its status or even that it had existed at all. My family's stock broker did some inside investigation for us and discovered that that account was closed and that the funds had been transferred.

Yet i still had received no word of its status.

I've since recovered my grandfather and grandmothers will, of which both mention a trust without exact details. I spoke with an officer specialized in this sort of thing, and he told me that this was not enough information to press criminal charges.

My question is what steps do I need to go through in order to retrieve this "lost" sum of money? Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I'm completely strapped for cash and unable to afford professional legal aid or advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Bleu

I've been in and out of college, but was unable to afford it with the jobs i had. I recently had to move in with my mom's parents because i was unable to afford living on my own. I am singing up for a couple of classes for next semester at a local community college, thanks to my mom's parents.

I can't exactly ask him to give it back, since it was his brother who was in charge of making sure that the fund would stay in my name, and he had to give explicit permission for that fund to be transferred. besides, i had heard rumors about this fund when i was a kid, and i asked my father's mother about it and she told me "there's nothing like that and you dont need to be asking about that sort of thing."

Bleu

in regards to suing, how would i go about that without a lawyer? I'm completely unable to find a lawyer willing to take my case, much less able to afford one even if i could.

Dandy Don

Was the stock broker who investigated the situation able to tell you approximately how much the account was worth? What years did your grandparents die? You can go to the county courthouse probate court where their wills are located and look at the probate file to see if there is any mention of this account in their wills and you can also find out exactly who was in charge of handling this matter.

If you have some idea of how much you were cheated out of, you are much more likely to get an attorney to help you recover your money. Do not give up--talk to 50 attorneys if you have to until you find one willing to help. This is NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">