• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my husband & I R not dead yet-what happens when we do die?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Reebok

We live in Texas. my husband has 4adult childern. he is 52 I am 49, his childern R dividing our estate (as if he is dying any day now). The 1st time i heard this it started as a joke by my husband, stating his childern would B at the mall b4 his body was cool spending his insurance money. its not joke 4them. His son & eldest daughter told me, since there father bought this house 16months b4 he met & married me I am not entitled 2anything, our current 6yrs 2gether means nothing. I can continue 2make house payments after his death but half of house blongs 2them & they will B making all decision on what will be sold, who will get what,etc....I love my husband & look forward2 a long happy life 2gether..but I am side tracked by the reality of how his childern think, I wouldnt dream of telling him what they said 2me. I dont think its true but i have been watching there behavior after the death of their Granny & wonder??
Can they come in and take over our home like that? My husband doesnt feel we need a will.:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Reebok said:
We live in Texas. my husband has 4adult childern. he is 52 I am 49, his childern R dividing our estate (as if he is dying any day now). The 1st time i heard this it started as a joke by my husband, stating his childern would B at the mall b4 his body was cool spending his insurance money. its not joke 4them. His son & eldest daughter told me, since there father bought this house 16months b4 he met & married me I am not entitled 2anything, our current 6yrs 2gether means nothing. I can continue 2make house payments after his death but half of house blongs 2them & they will B making all decision on what will be sold, who will get what,etc....I love my husband & look forward2 a long happy life 2gether..but I am side tracked by the reality of how his childern think, I wouldnt dream of telling him what they said 2me. I dont think its true but i have been watching there behavior after the death of their Granny & wonder??
Can they come in and take over our home like that? My husband doesnt feel we need a will.:confused:
My response:

Do you have a phobia about the word "to", or do you really think it's spelled "2gether" ?

Do you have any idea how annoying it is 2 read through a post with 2's in the words?

IAAL

R

Reebok

I am sorry-I Am Always Liable, that you didnt understand. I was only trying to condense as I used (r instead of are) different ways to do that through the thread. If thats annoying to you perhaps you have the phobia. I do however have a phobia about the question I ask in my thread, that you did not answer. My husbands adult childern appear to be planning the liquidation of our estate and we arent very old or sick and not dead, thats may be a phobia.
thanks anyway I Am Always Liable i see why:)

Last edited:
A

advisor10

3-16-2002

DEAR REEBOK:

You are very smart to be concerned. The selfishly greedy behavior of these children is unbelievable--they should at least try to have a little bit more respect for you as their dad's wife. What they are saying is mostly untrue, since they are ignorant of probate law. Don't you make the same mistake.

Your husband is making a serious mistake by not having a will. In view of events like Sept. 11, think how many families were left in turmoil because no planning had been done in advance. Tell your husband that if he really loves you, he will protect your interests to make sure you are taken care of and that it will be much easier on the entire family if his wishes are formally recorded in writing so that things won't be messy and confusing at the time of his death when you all will also be grieving.

What would be the estimated value of your husband's estate? You need to visit the local office of a probate attorney and depending on how simple or how complicated your husband's assets are, the will could be done for a few hundred dollars.

As a spouse, you are entitled to certain property rights and monetary rights (however, I don't have the reference book with that information in front of me right now, so I can't tell you exactly what they are). There could even be a provision in the will that your husband could give you permission to stay in the home for your lifetime and then be turned over to your children after your death, or if you are owner you can do whatever you want to with it.

I love your husband's sense of humor--his comment about the mall is a classic that I will remember for a long time.

If I were you, I would not let the children know about the will after your husband has had it prepared (he should give it to you and perhaps 1 other person/his attorney or a safe deposit box for safekeeping and immediate access at his death). I would love to be there to see the rage on their faces when they find out that according to the terms of the will, things aren't going to work out the way THEY wanted it to, but that YOU will be in control because you planned in advance and got the trump card over on them! If they do happen to find out about it, at least there is nothing they can do about it and hopefully they will not persuade him to get another newer will prepared, or if he does at least tell him to let you know about it.

SINCERELY,

advisor

A

advisor10

3-18-2002

DEAR REEBOK

In my previous response to you, I forgot to mention that the life insurance is NOT considered part of the estate, and that money is payable directly to whoever he named as beneficiaries on the life insurance application card.

SINCERELY,

advisor

R

Reebok

Thank you for the reply! I agree a will would be nice. however I do understand it is approperate planning, I just dont want to appear like his adult childern-I plan on him living for a very long time but do understand anything can happen. Have a great Easter weekend!;) :)

Seanscott

Get your name onto any of the assets that belong to both of you. Like the deed to the house, titles to cars, make your bank accounts joint accounts, etc.

Then the greedy kids can't say anything. If your hubby dies before you, make out your own will leaving evrything to your family dog.

R

Reebok

Thanks for the reply! I do infact have my name on the auto's we bought after our marriage. 2 Mercedes, a Bentley and a 31 HotRod. There are 7 others that we purchased together but I didnt have my name on them because I assumed this was a community property State so it didnt matter. The house he bought 16 months before we got married, but again I didnt think that mattered. My marriage wasnt based on our assets and they arent now, its just his adult childern know that I know NOTHTING about Texas rights or laws. I just want to be informed. Who knows what these people may do:( . I have been watching the discovery channel's Forensic files/FBI files and The new detective, for all I know his kids may be planning his or our demise:confused: Because what they say and do is not logical to me. We are both still relatively young mid-age people in reasonable good health.:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">