• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My late grandmother's will, where can I find it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wesley90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in Maryland, My late grandmother lived in Ohio.

My father passed away in 2001 when I was 14 years old and my grandmother told my mother at the time that my fathers share of her will (1/3 because she had 3 children) would go to my brother and I. Well my grandmother passed away last year and surviving are her husband and her remaining two children, my aunt and uncle. My brother and I haven't heard a thing from anybody about what happend to my fathers share of the will. Now she lived in Ohio and I reside in Maryland. I was wondering how I could get ahold of her will because it is a public document correct? I don't know who her lawyer was and I would like to find out what the will said without my aunt finding out. I know asking her would be the easy way but that just seems rude.

Any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated.

justalayman

IF the will has been admitted to probate, you can get a copy for the probate court. Likely to be in the county of her last residency.

Dave1952

Mr. Justalayman is quite right. The Will will need to go through the probate court, so it should be on file there.
Probate court is the convenient place for disposing of the estate's assets, paying it's bills, and ending the estate's existence. If your grandmother owned a car then it would be titled in her name. Somehow the title must be changed to a new owner and grandmother can not sign the title over. Probate court has the authority to do this sort of thing.

Good luck

curb1

Yes, in this case there could be the real possibility that the will did not get exposed to the probate.

nextwife

A long ago married couple may have had all of their assets jointly held. If that were the case, all co owned assets would simply pass to the surviving spouse, and probate may very well not be needed.

Last edited:

anteater

A long ago married couple may have had all of their assets jointly held. If that were the case, all co owned assets would simply pass to the surviving spouse, and probate may very well not be needed.
Even a not so long ago married couple!

:D

Dave1952

These are all good points but the OP wants to hunt for the Will without letting his relatives know that he is searching. He should look for it down at the court house. It may be on file there. If so he can pay a copying fee and read it.
If you have other recommendations on what he should do I'm sure he would be grateful for your advice.

Good luck

nextwife

These are all good points but the OP wants to hunt for the Will without letting his relatives know that he is searching. He should look for it down at the court house. It may be on file there. If so he can pay a copying fee and read it.
If you have other recommendations on what he should do I'm sure he would be grateful for your advice.

Good luck
If a will was submitted for probate, he was told in the first response where he'd find it. We then pointed out why there may never be a will he can review. Or why a will may only apply to a small percentage of her assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">