• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my lowlife father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wudshapr

What is the name of your state? mn

It was maybe seven or so years ago, my grandmother died, and I would like to know the contents of her will, because miraculously, my father was able to quit working and buy an RV to travel around in immediately afterward, and has been ever since. When I was talking to him, he never mentioned anything in the will for myself or my brother, and I never asked. He has been living the lap of luxury ever since. It has been about three or four years since I have spoken with him, and almost that long since anybody I know has, so he may be dead, and that would be the other question. One, how do I find out what the contents of my grandmothers will are, and secondly, how do I find out if my father is alive or not? Earlier in life he robbed my brother and I of some savings bonds she had given us, so I wouldn't put this past him. There is also a land dispute where he was a partial owner of some land in which he had cleared of trees, only to have the logging co. sue him and the other owners for the costs of the suits placed upon them, for destroying the surrounding properties obtaining the trees. There is a lot of questions here, and not all are in the scope of the thread, but any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

What is the name of your state? mn

It was maybe seven or so years ago, my grandmother died, and I would like to know the contents of her will, because miraculously, my father was able to quit working and buy an RV to travel around in immediately afterward, and has been ever since. When I was talking to him, he never mentioned anything in the will for myself or my brother, and I never asked. He has been living the lap of luxury ever since. It has been about three or four years since I have spoken with him, and almost that long since anybody I know has, so he may be dead, and that would be the other question. One, how do I find out what the contents of my grandmothers will are, and secondly, how do I find out if my father is alive or not? Earlier in life he robbed my brother and I of some savings bonds she had given us, so I wouldn't put this past him. There is also a land dispute where he was a partial owner of some land in which he had cleared of trees, only to have the logging co. sue him and the other owners for the costs of the suits placed upon them, for destroying the surrounding properties obtaining the trees. There is a lot of questions here, and not all are in the scope of the thread, but any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
First, has the will been probated? If yes, then a copy is public record at the county courthouse. If no, then probate needs to be started. File to be appointed Administrator of an intestate estate. That way if there is a Will it will most likely be produced. Next, if the court does appoint you Administrator then you need to secure all assets of your grandmother's estate. If your father used any of his mother's assets for his personal use then you have to file civil suit as Administrator of the estate against him for conversion. You may not (probably will not) get all the assets back, but you'll get some back; and in the process you'll probably turn your father into a pauper.

Dandy Don

If you know the city/state where your grandparent died, you can contact or visit the county courthouse probate court for that city to see if a probate is on file and you can actually look at the file if you want, just to see how the entire estate was handled. (If you don't know how to find the address of the county courthouse, then any librarian can help you find out that information.) Then you can check with a probate attorney to see if you still have grounds to pursue a case against your dad or whether a statute of limitations may have been exceeded or not.

If you know your father's name and date of birth or any street address where he has lived, any local private investigator can track down his current address for less than $100.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">