• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mother is trying to take over my dad's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaliChuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

My dad passed away several years ago but my mother is trying to transfer all of the property into her name completely, because they obviously ask for my dad's signature for some things..she just wants to make it easier on herself.

What forms does she need to fill out? Thank you for any help :)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

My dad passed away several years ago but my mother is trying to transfer all of the property into her name completely, because they obviously ask for my dad's signature for some things..she just wants to make it easier on herself.

What forms does she need to fill out? Thank you for any help :)
It may not be as simple as filling out forms. Depending on the nature of the property and how it is titled, she may need to open probate.

CaliChuck

I'm sure it is. All the property that my dad has ever bought, her name is on it too. None of us kids are trying to contest anything, don't see a problem here..

CaliChuck

They said they cant tell us anything, we have to contact a paralegal, or attorney. I guess they're not allowed to give out "legal advice". But I figure this is trivial. To transfer everything from my dad's name to my mom as the sole owner of everything they bought together. She has all the papers, marriage license, death certificate, etc.

The nice lady at the window told my mother she needs to tell her the correct form name, and Im guessing the number to a form? and she'll be able to give it to her. But she can't go any further than that.

Last edited:

anteater

Form DE-221? Spousal or Domestic Partner Property Petition?

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/de221.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">