• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my mother's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga. my mother has put my name on all of her banking accounts. does this mean that when she dies, the money is then mine to cover outstanding debts and then to distribute according to her wishes? also, the only "property" she has is personal property in her home (clothes, pictures, etc). can she simply put in a will that she is leaving it all to one child to distribute as she has asked? or does there really need to be a will since her property is of no value to anyone except for sentimental value? is there anyway to avoid probate on these things as she lives in another city than me and i'm worried about her late husbands' children going in the house before probate. in her late husbands will, he left the house she is in to his children, that they will inherit when she dies.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

curb1

Start you communication now with the other children involved. Be nice and communicate well. This is a common sense issue that shouldn't get "out of hand". What debts are involved? Why aren't they being paid now while mother is alive? The cleaner you can make the situation before death, the better. There should be no need for probate if this is as "clean" as you say.

there are no problems between my sister, brother and i. the children of my dead stepfather are the ones to worry about. i just want to make sure that they can't go in the house before i can get there to start clearing out the house. nothing in the house belongs to them, they got what belonged to their father after he died. but my point being that the actual house will belong to them when my mother dies and i want to make sure my siblings and i get her stuff out of the house first. from what i've heard, all they are going to do is bulldoze it and sell the property.

curb1

Have you talked to the step brothers/sisters about this? I would think that normal people would understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">