• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mothers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PAdaughter

What is the name of your state? PA
My step-father (who is 83) is very ill and his daughter coerced him into signing a Power of Attorney for his medical care and financial resources. She is placing him in a nursing home without my mother's consent. We want to know how vulnerable my mother's personal assets are to her and how vulnerable their joint assets are. Can she take his income that is being used to maintain the family home? He does have long-term insurance but it's not going to cover the total cost of the place that my step-sister has chosen. My mother has had no opportunity to participate in the choice of a nursing home.
My step-sister is greedy and not to be trusted. We don't want to shirk any responsibility to pay for his care but we don't want his daughter to take advantage of my elderly mom to get her money either so it won't be there when she needs care.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Talk to an elder care attorney to find out what mother can do. Sister has no rights being power of attorney if mother is able to do the same thing and how could sister have left her own mother out of the care decision for her own husband? Power of attorney can be revoked and a new one issued to mother or whoever else mother wants to be POA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">