• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1stchild

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North carolina
My father died in September of 2004, I was told by his mother that I(daughter) was in his will. I was wondering how long does it take before a will is read. Is having a will probated required by law in NC? Is there any other way to find out if there was actually a will. Thanks in advance.

S

seniorjudge

1stchild said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North carolina
My father died in September of 2004, I was told by his mother that I(daughter) was in his will. I was wondering how long does it take before a will is read. Is having a will probated required by law in NC? Is there any other way to find out if there was actually a will. Thanks in advance.
Q: I was wondering how long does it take before a will is read.

A: It depends on who has the will and when they want to disclose the contents.

Q: Is having a will probated required by law in NC?

A: If the deceased person had no assets, there is no reason to probate a will. If there were assets, then the person who is supposed to probate the will (usually the personal representative) may have a certain time to file it or otherwise the will will be invalid. I don't know the time limit in NC.

Q: Is there any other way to find out if there was actually a will.

A: Ask grandma.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">