• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on how to make sure my Mom is not victimized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snewz

My father died two months ago. He was the primary caregiver for my mother, who has Alzheimer's (mid-stage). Since she could no longer stay in their home by herself, she needed to be re-located to an assisted living facility. We found a good facility near my sister's house which has a full-care building across the street for more advanced patients.

Here is our problem. My mother and a gentleman resident have become very close, way too quickly. He looks uncannily like my father and we worry that she has transferred her feelings to this man. We are also worried that he may be taking advantage of her for possible monetary gain (my father left her very well off).

My father left us all in charge of a trust (state of CA), which needs all three signatures. If my mother gets talked into marrying this man, will it affect the trust? What should we do?

Dandy Don

Please explain how the man could be taking advantage of her for financial gain if YOU ALL control the money? Do you give her money or do you just pay for all of her bills/living expenses? As long as you have financial control, there is nothing to worry about. At this point you do not need to be concerned. If she starts to mention that she is considering marrying the man, then you can consult with a certified estate planning professional to make sure her assets are protected.

curb1

I think you should talk with a professional at this time. I have heard too many times, "Hey, we got married". The situation becomes more difficult after the fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">