• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice Regarding a Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigjim25

I was left as the sole beneficiary of an estate from the death of a friend 6yrs ago. I have been waiting for 6yrs now for the executor to complete settling the estate. Every couple of months I will message him regarding this and he always responds that he will take care of it. I was left a house and I currently live in that house however everything is still to the estate. I spoke with the attorney handling this will, but he told me he could not discuss it with me because I did not hire him. The attorney did tell me that he is waiting on the executor to turn over some documents for him to continue. Is there anything that I can do to force the executor to settle this will being that it has been 6yrs.

tranquility

Get an attorney. The fiduciary (executor) has almost assuredly breached his fiduciary duties and should be removed. I can imagine reasons why it takes 6 years to close an estate, but not for a simple one without a continuing business/income property issues or current litigation against the deceased.

curb1

Be aggressive and get this settled. I would be calling daily starting about four years ago. Why the delay? What is the relationship of the executor?

tranquility

It is well past time to call unless the executor is a person the OP wants to maintain a relationship with. It is time for the attorney to send the nice man a letter threatening to explore the OP's legal options regarding the fiduciary breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">