• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

txfyre

State of Lousiana. Family lives in Texas.

My father-in-law passed away and it's been a nightmare. He left behind 4 daughters that range between the age of 23 and 30. One being my wife. Im the last man left and Ive found myself with the heavy burden of the majority of arrangements and planning and also playing peacemaker and advice columnist. It's a sticky situation. The deceased was married to the daughters mother for 27 years and had a ugly situation which ended the marriage and has been maried to another women for 4 years at which time they moved from texas to louisiana. The new wife has left the girls out in the cold with EVERYTHING and has pretty much failed to include them with any planning or asked of their conscerns. The service is the day after tommorow and the new wife pretty much refuses to include any portion of his life in the service which reflects a time before the two were married. He loved his girls dearly and they were the most important thing along with my children in his life. Question is....Theres been little mention of a last will or life insurance matters regarding him except for the fact that we know he had one of each in a safety deposit box. The ex-wife and girls mother said that he had two large life insurance policies which the girls were the benifitiaries unless he has since changed it in the last 4 years . What right to the girls have to find out whats going on and what are things which I need to do so I can make sure his last wishes are carried out. The new wife and myself are on great terms and she loves me dearly but I don't want to press the issue but I do want to make sure if the girls have anything coming that they get whats rightfully theirs. Do the girls have any legal backing in the issue and is their a time frame that the last will and life insurance MUST be dealt with so they are legal and are not voided? Any advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

TxFyre

lwpat

Since you are on great terms with the new wife you should offer your assistance in the probate process. Once the funeral is over you can offer to take her down to the probate court and assist with the paperwork. If allowed you may even want to volunteer to be the executor of the estate.

Be advised that if you do this someone will probably never speak to you again.

You can also offer to take her to the bank and inventory the contents of the safe deposit box. Hopefully you can tactfully carry this off and keep peace in the family. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">