• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Grant

My brother in law passed away in Aug of 1998. He lived in NY. In July of 1998 he purchased a car. After my brother in laws death my mother in law insisted my wife and I keep the car. My mother in law 3 days after my brother in laws death went to the dmv to have the title sent to the house, because we did not fnd it with his affects where he was staying. The dmv told her the title was already mailed and she would have to get a duplicate title. I took the dupilcate title to the dmv to register the car in Feb 2000. I was told by the dmv that I could not register the car because the title was not in my brother in laws name, because the car was already sold. The name on the new title was of his ex-girlfriend and they said she brought the car from my brother in law in Jan 2000 and it registered only in ownership. I tried to explain to them how could the car be sold by someone who had passed away in Aug of 1999? I had the death certificate, bill of sale and the car parked outside. They said it is a civil matter and I have to go to court. What can I do? Isn't this fraud? Know one at the dmv is willing to listen, or look at my documents of proof. I tried to locate his ex girlfriend by the last address we have, she is no longer there. The dmv would not give us the address in thier computers. Should we go to a probate court or small cliams court?

ALawyer

If you can't find her you won't be able to properly serve her and start the action in Small Claims Court.

A police report may make sense too. It sounds as if the title is a forgery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">