• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyb1124

I just found out that my grandfather that died in 1978-79, left me some money for college how do I retrieve it? Geandfather lived in Chicago, I now live in Ohio.

dmode101

In what form did he leave you the money - In his will? In a trust? In a minor's account? If it still exists some person should have control of the funds, probably either a trutee or custodian.

A

advisor10

JUNE 11, 2001

DEAR LADY:

How did you find out that you were left this money? If some family member told you about this, they should have been able to give you more specific information. Sometimes people say things like this that aren't really true, just to make themselves look good.

If you know the month and year that your grandfather died, then you should contact the PROBATE COURT in Chicago to ask them to search their records to see if your grandfather had a last will & testament. If he did, then you can look at the file (or order copies of it) to see if your name was mentioned as a beneficiary or whether possibly a trust fund was set up for you. You should get the name and address of the executor of his estate and contact that person for more information, but it seems as if the executor should have contacted you before now to inform you about this if there was any money left for you.

If you don't know the address or phone number for the courthouse in Chicago, then send me an e-mail and I can find it for you.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">