• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with estate issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzshellz913

What is the name of your state KANSAS

My grand-mother past away almost a year ago this month. She left my sister and I both $1,000 a piece in her will and everything else including her house went to our father. We were first told that we would get the money after the estate went through probate which would take up to 6 months, then it was we would get the money when the house sold and if he was to take over the house and live there that he would have to give us the money left to us. However, we recently found out that he is living in my grand-mothers house and making no attempt to give us the money owed to us. When we talk to his lawyer she just tells us that he is trying to give us the money. We want to know if this is illegal as he has taken over the pymts and living in the estate. Does he have to give us this money or can he just take as much time as he wants?

seniorjudge

Go to the courthouse where the will was probated and buy a full copy of the file.

That should tell you what is going on.

mzshellz913

ok i will do that. but is there a way to find out if what he is doing is illegal by staying in the house and not giving us the money?

Dandy Don

You have to wait until some type of inventory is filed so you can see what the assets of the estate are. If there are not many assets other than the home or a small amount of cash, if there are any debts those must be paid first and there may not be enough cash left over to pay the bequest to you. He may not want to sell the house or he may be delaying the sale of the home. Just wait for the probate process to play out and if you have any questions hire your own attorney.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">