• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help..please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lagal112

What is the name of your state? louisiana

My granmother passed away this year and she had a will but never had it made legal. Therefore my aunt ( her daughter) is trying to become admini ad leitiem (spelling). I did not have a problem with it until I find out she has given away several things of my grandmother that were never listed in the inventory, also she was given acsess to my granmothers banking accounts, which she has drained paying my granmothers bills and all..Her attorney sent me a copy of the bill she had paid and swor under oath to, and i find out through the places she was supposed to be that the bills were never as much as she claimed and that she had never discontinued the service...we are talking about a 600-700 dollar difference, in bills here. She is so mad at me because i will not sign the papers without seeing proof of what and who she has paid, there really is not much money to split, and i am not in it for the money, i am however disgusted that she is stealing from her like this. what should i do how should i fight this....should i inform her attorney that she has lied, or report the whole bunch. she sent me a email today saying they had been advised they can preceed without me signing anything..can they
They live in texas and this is were all this is taking place...

Don't know what you mean by her having a will, but not making it "legal." If there's a written will that's been witnessed, there's nothing else one does to legalize it, except at death when it is produced for probate. The major question would be are YOU named in the will as the recipient of any property or money?. If not, and her daughter (your aunt) is, there isn't anything you can do short of challenging the will's validity, e.g., did she sign it under duress or while incompetent? If she didn't have a will of any kind, then dying without one is called intestacy. In that situation the laws of the state where the person died rule as to what the chain of inheritance would be. In most states, if not all, the children of a deceased person would surely be primary, if there was no spouse. Grandchildren likely would only inherit if their parent (another child of the deceased) had also died. First and cheapest step here seems to be asking the lawyer involved to send you a copy of the will. It is/will be a public record once probate begins.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">