• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help understanding portion of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LW1351

i was named in my deceased sister's will. i need clarification on one point in the will. it states as follows:

"All the rest, residue and remainder of my estate, of whatsoever kind and nature I may own at the time of my death, I give, devise and bequeath as follows:

A. 75% to LW, if she survives me.
B. 25% or the entire residuary if LW predeceases me, to the following individuals who survive me, to ________, ________, __________ and _________ in equal shares."

My question -- since I did not predecease my sister, are the individuals in paragraph B still entitled to the 25% or does this go to me? Any help in clearing this up would be appreciated. Thank you. This is in NY.

Last edited:

ALawyer

As I read it, if you are LW, then as you outlived the person making the will, you should get 75% of the residuary estate.

The 4 other named people who survive him still split the 25% equally among themselves, perhaps 6-1/4% each.

Had you died before your sister, they'd get 100% to divide amongst themselves in equal shares, and would have wound up with 25% each.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">