• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need legal advice about a Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laura R.

What is the name of your state? New York
I have a New York trust and I reside in California.
My mother died and in her Will she left everything to her two children; her son who was 17 and daughter (me) who was 12 at the time of her death. My brother received half the principal at 30 and the rest of the principal at age 36 and I was to receive all or a portion of the interest from the trust when I turned 21 and from then on, none of the principal. Most of the property was liquidated shortly after my mother’s death which included in part, our home in Armonk. Our building in Manhattan was sold later for $1 million. City blocks were being bought out by Citibank, and in the early 70s Citibank Center was built there.
The lawyer who wrote the Will was my mother’s advisor, and later committed my mother against her will to a mental hospital where my mother died. The lawyer, I’ll call her GC, became my guardian and is the trustee of the estate to this day. My mother died in 1966. GC retired last year. Over the years I have asked GC to let me invest a portion of the money in a home, real estate etc. and her answer was always “no.”

Last year, out of the blue, she said she wanted to turn the estate over to me. Then GC said she went to surrogates court and they said no. Now she wants to have my brother be the trustee. 3/28/05 she wrote “I retained an attorney to handle the motion in surrogates court and am preparing an accounting for the years in which you did not receive an accounting.” The last accounting I received was in 1991 (other than schedule K1s which tell just interest amts.) GC sent me accounting for about 5 years out of the 40. From the 1991 accounting I know that the amount of principal in the trust has declined over 40 years. My brother says I should sue GC for not keeping up with inflation. What should I do?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Your brother is NOT correct in saying that you should sue because she didn't "keep up with inflation"--that is a common misconception. The trustee has no legal obligation to maintain the trust at the same rate of inflation, because she has no control over interest rates or the inflation rate and is not legally obligated to do so.

When you get the accounting, you will need to consult with a New York trust attorney to have him or a CPA or auditor scrutinize the accounting to see if everything seems to be in order or not. New York trust law is a bit more complex than in other states--honestly, the trustee was not required to give you an accounting (but please keep that confidential amongst yourself and don't let her know that you know this) but I'm wondering if she is giving it to you just out of courtesy to honestly inform you of the status of the trust or whether it is possible that she may have misappropriated monies over the years and is giving the accounting to you out of sense of guilt in the hopes that you will be naive enough to just accept the documents at face value and not get them scrutizinized too closely so that her misappropriation will not be discovered. Your attorney or accountant can tell you whether or not you have cause to go after her for missing monies if things do not look kosher. (IMPORTANT: If you have not ever seen a copy of the trust, you should ask trustee to provide you with one, although you may not be entitled to receive it by law, she may be sympathetic enough to give it to you).

Ask her whether or not she was required to post a trustee's bond.

If possible, do everything in your power to NOT let your brother be named as trustee. Find your own trust attorney who might be willing to take on this responsibility, or find a professional at the trust department of a bank and get that person to contact GC to ask to be named as the new trustee. If your brother was named, it would be against your best interests as it seems he does not like you or does not get along too well with you, and he would continually deny your requests for payouts from the trust.

Good luck in getting more information about your situation.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

Laura R. said:
What is the name of your state? New York
I have a New York trust and I reside in California.
My mother died and in her Will she left everything to her two children; her son who was 17 and daughter (me) who was 12 at the time of her death. My brother received half the principal at 30 and the rest of the principal at age 36 and I was to receive all or a portion of the interest from the trust when I turned 21 and from then on, none of the principal. Most of the property was liquidated shortly after my mother’s death which included in part, our home in Armonk. Our building in Manhattan was sold later for $1 million. City blocks were being bought out by Citibank, and in the early 70s Citibank Center was built there.
The lawyer who wrote the Will was my mother’s advisor, and later committed my mother against her will to a mental hospital where my mother died. The lawyer, I’ll call her GC, became my guardian and is the trustee of the estate to this day. My mother died in 1966. GC retired last year. Over the years I have asked GC to let me invest a portion of the money in a home, real estate etc. and her answer was always “no.”

Last year, out of the blue, she said she wanted to turn the estate over to me. Then GC said she went to surrogates court and they said no. Now she wants to have my brother be the trustee. 3/28/05 she wrote “I retained an attorney to handle the motion in surrogates court and am preparing an accounting for the years in which you did not receive an accounting.” The last accounting I received was in 1991 (other than schedule K1s which tell just interest amts.) GC sent me accounting for about 5 years out of the 40. From the 1991 accounting I know that the amount of principal in the trust has declined over 40 years. My brother says I should sue GC for not keeping up with inflation. What should I do?
Q: My brother says I should sue GC for not keeping up with inflation. What should I do?

A: Tell your brother to read this:

http://www.alipman.com/snowbirdguide/nyeptl1123.html

A trustee has a duty to invest and manage property held in a fiduciary capacity in accordance with the prudent investor standard defined by this section, except as otherwise provided by the express terms and provisions of a governing instrument within the limitations set forth by section 11-1.7 of this chapter. This section shall apply to any investment made or held on or after January first, nineteen hundred ninety-five by a trustee.

Laura R.

Hi Dandy Don,

First let me express my gratitude for your time and providing me with your expert legal advice.

DD:
“Ask her whether or not she was required to post a trustee’s bond”

Laura:
The Will (which GC wrote) states: “I nominate, constitute and appoint “GC” the executrix of this will and I direct that she shall not be required to furnish any bond or other security in any jurisdiction” (I assume this means trustee’s bond).
Additionally the Will nominated GC’s husband (JD) as trustee with the same wording insofar as he is not required to furnish any bond or other security in any jurisdiction. I don’t know what JD’s role was with the trust, I never communicated with him nor he with me regarding the trust. I have no knowledge of any activity or work he may or may not have performed. JD made equal commissions with GC for the years that I have partial accounting for.

DD:.
”The trustee is not required to give you an accounting... “

Laura:
re McLaughlin's Estate (1954) 268 P.2d 519 subsequent 43 Cal.2d 462, 274 P.2d 868

Quote from John Hartog from “As the Trust World Turns”:

“Trustees are under an obligation to render to beneficiaries a full account of all their dealings with the trust property, and where there has been a negligent failure to keep true accounts, all presumptions are against them.”

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:GdlFgyg5RDcJ:www.calteclaw.com/files/AstheTrustWorldTurns.pdf+surrogate+court+cases+Prudent+Investor+Act+reasonable+growth&hl=en&client=safari

The above is a California case. Have New York state court cases had the opposite precedence? Is there no accountability to the beneficiary or a 3rd party in the state of New York?

DD:
“If possible, do everything in your power to NOT let your brother be named as trustee”
Laura:
My brother says if he is Trustee I will be able to control the estate and invest the money the way I want to.
One point I should mention is I don’t “need” the money from the estate and haven’t for quite some time. I live well: own a small fruit orchard, my home and cars are paid for, my 31 year old daughter graduated years ago from UCSC and is working so there are no future educational expenses for “the kids”. I have absolutely no debt.
I only know 2 people I trust with the estate. My brother is one of them, my husband, the other. I don’t think a professional at a trust department of a bank would let me invest at my discretion as my brother indicated he would. My brother doesn’t want and certainly doesn’t need my money. He is an extremely successful Clinical and Forensic Psychologist. I have a good relationship with him. However, to be prudent maybe I should get it in writing about investing the trust money the way I want. Should I do that?

DD:
“IMPORTANT: if you have never seen a copy of the trust....”

Laura:
Is there always a separate “trust agreement” by law in New York or is that information sometimes combined in one document: the Will?

Really I have never had a full accounting of the trust for even one year. With only a summary on a few sheets of ordinary paper with banks, dates, amounts invested in T-Bills etc.. no account numbers.... honestly, I feel there is no way to check these figures with the actual investments, without access to bank records. If there was misappropriation of funds what would prevent fabricating this information?
I heard Enron’s accounting looked great on paper. The verification of the accounting would have told a different story.

Obviously GC goes way back with me. She was also the executrix of my father’s Will when he died of suicide in 1960. My dad was an attorney.

I admit I have a negative view of her. I think there is justification for that.
Maybe she was entirely honest with all her investments as trustee, but I don’t think so.

2 brief questions:
What is the New York State law regarding statute of limitations if something were to be disclosed, such as misappropriation of funds?
If the Trusteeship is legally transferred at the surrogates court is there a possibility that the records of GCs past activity with the trust be sealed or will the new Trustee obtain and have access to all the records?

I apologize for this being so long.

Thank you again.

Laura

Laura R.

Hi Senior Judge,

The Prudent Investor Act went into effect in 1995 which covers Trustee duty for only a small portion of the time GC was acting Trustee.

Are there New York laws or acts guiding trustee duty and standards for investments prior to 1995 for the years 1966 through 1995?

Over seventy four percent of the time period GC was trustee is not covered by the Prudent Investor Act.

I don’t want to stand here in 2005 with 20 -20 vision and say what should have been done. I want to be fair. Also I’m no Greenspan. However, I can say factually that there are many experts in finance who have grown principals through prudent investments over a 10 , 20 and 40 year periods. GC lost principal over 39 years. Just the facts.

Also, I never asked for or obtained any of the principal of the trust for emergencies or my or my daughter’s college education. To my knowledge there was no money paid for my benefit out of the principal at any time.

Additionally during almost 4 decades there were a lot of “segments of time” to look back with 20-20 vision, learn from the past, study economic trends and adjust the risk/cost ratio accordingly.

I really don’t know what was invested in or who helped her make investment decisions if anyone. According to Dandy Don (see his reply message) in the state of New York beneficiaries have no right to obtain accounting records or trust documents. The Trustee is not required to provide such items to the beneficiary. Do you concur with his legal opinion?

I appreciate very much your time and the link to the Prudent investor act information. I will send the information to my brother as you wisely suggest.

Laura

S

seniorjudge

Laura R. said:
Hi Senior Judge,

The Prudent Investor Act went into effect in 1995 which covers Trustee duty for only a small portion of the time GC was acting Trustee.

Are there New York laws or acts guiding trustee duty and standards for investments prior to 1995 for the years 1966 through 1995?

Over seventy four percent of the time period GC was trustee is not covered by the Prudent Investor Act.

I don’t want to stand here in 2005 with 20 -20 vision and say what should have been done. I want to be fair. Also I’m no Greenspan. However, I can say factually that there are many experts in finance who have grown principals through prudent investments over a 10 , 20 and 40 year periods. GC lost principal over 39 years. Just the facts.

Also, I never asked for or obtained any of the principal of the trust for emergencies or my or my daughter’s college education. To my knowledge there was no money paid for my benefit out of the principal at any time.

Additionally during almost 4 decades there were a lot of “segments of time” to look back with 20-20 vision, learn from the past, study economic trends and adjust the risk/cost ratio accordingly.

I really don’t know what was invested in or who helped her make investment decisions if anyone. According to Dandy Don (see his reply message) in the state of New York beneficiaries have no right to obtain accounting records or trust documents. The Trustee is not required to provide such items to the beneficiary. Do you concur with his legal opinion?

I appreciate very much your time and the link to the Prudent investor act information. I will send the information to my brother as you wisely suggest.

Laura

According to Dandy Don (see his reply message) in the state of New York beneficiaries have no right to obtain accounting records or trust documents. The Trustee is not required to provide such items to the beneficiary. Do you concur with his legal opinion?

Not unless they changed the law last night:

Sec. 7-2.7 Accounting by trustee in supreme court
(a) Any proceeding for an accounting or other relief brought
by a trustee or by a substituted or successor trustee may be
commenced by such notice to the beneficiaries of the trust as the
supreme court may direct.

(start your research at the link below)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcode.pl?frame=right2&code=NY&ls=claws&law=38&art=28

Dandy Don

Your situation and questions are so detailed that you need to be talking directly to a New York trust law attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">