• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need the perfect comeback for my mean-spirited Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donadenese

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
Is it common for a person to continually change her will? My mother threatens and actually does go to the trouble of changing her will to disinherit me ( I am her only child) and two of my daughters whenever she gets angry or I disagree with her or just because she feels like throwing her weight around. Does anyone else here have a similar problem? How do you get it across to the offending parent that you cant be bought?
And don't care what she does with her money. It's getting so tiresome!

A

adavis122107

I think the best way, is to display that you are not offended by her actions at all (even if u r offended) I mean she is being kind of petty by doing that and I'm think if she didn't get a rise out of you then maybe her subcontious reasoning behind doing that would not be fulfilled anymore and she might stop, but idk, I don't know you or your mother so who know what woudl really work.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
Is it common for a person to continually change her will? My mother threatens and actually does go to the trouble of changing her will to disinherit me ( I am her only child) and two of my daughters whenever she gets angry or I disagree with her or just because she feels like throwing her weight around. Does anyone else here have a similar problem? How do you get it across to the offending parent that you cant be bought?
And don't care what she does with her money. It's getting so tiresome!

Ignore the whole matter.

Concentrate on being the best child you can be, and raising the best children you can raise.

nextwife

Personally, I never discussed my mom's will or what she MIGHT leave us (she passed three years ago).

Instead, we encouraged her to enjoy her last years, spend a bit more and do more that she wanted to do in life, using HER money. We never ever acted as though HER money was our money, and instead were helpful and supportive. When she was ill and incapacitated, we arranged full time care in home (using her funds via POA), so she'd get to live her last months in her home and be able to die at home, using hospice care. We never begrudged her the right to have full enjoyment of her money, and never considered it our money. Maybe you need to stop entering conversations about MOM'S money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Personally, I never discussed my mom's will or what she MIGHT leave us (she passed three years ago).

Instead, we encouraged her to enjoy her last years, spend a bit more and do more that she wanted to do in life, using HER money. We never ever acted as though HER money was our money, and instead were helpful and supportive. When she was ill and incapacitated, we arranged full time care in home (using her funds via POA), so she'd get to live her last months in her home and be able to die at home, using hospice care. We never begrudged her the right to have full enjoyment of her money, and never considered it our money. Maybe you need to stop entering conversations about MOM'S money.
That's not necessarily true for every situation. For example, in MY situation, my parents have made it clear to me how to handle things. They have made it clear to me that I am their chosen trust administrator and explained what should be done when the time comes.
With that said, I have NEVER assumed that any of their money is my money, and they know it.

latigo

How do you get it across to the offending parent that you cant be bought?
In case you failed to notice this web site is graciously provided as a "FREE ADVICE LEGAL FORUM"! (In my opinion it has never had an equal.)

And for you edification the English adjective “LEGAL” as you find in the title, "FREE ADVICE LEGAL FORUM" is defined as:

“Pertaining to, based on, or concerning the law; permitted by law;the American legal system; established, or authorized by law; connected with the law or its administration; the legal profession.."

Now would you care to explain what your shaky relationship with your petulant and likely mentally unstable mother has to do with the theme of this forum? I doesn’t!

So with all due respect, if you have a question involving a legal issue with your mother or her will, then ask it. But if your purpose is to simply broadcast to the world the details of your ongoing and struggling relationship with her, then please air it out in an appropriate chat room. There are thousands of them and millions of sympathizers that will stroke you to your heart’s content.

Now for you out there that are going to jump in here with your usual critical rejoinders defending this individual and her misplaced post let me explain something in my defense.

Over the years there have been several such open legal forums that eventually deteriorated into and became corrupted and expired as a result of this sort of unrelated, boring chitchat. And donadenese’s blog is an example of how it all started.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">