• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New found debt threatens home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b0nez

What is the name of your state?Ky

First of all,you guys are great helping people that are so lost at such a bad time.The world is short of folks like you.

Anyway my dad died 3 years ago after a long illness.Once they claimed him terminal my wife and I cared for him in his home until his death.We also lived in his home,myself for my whole 34 years.while all this was going on my sister after getting mom to give her a cc sent away for more without moms consent(fraud).My problem is,mom passed away last week after years of her own extreme difficulties which we tried to manage..We have finally caught our breath from the whirlwind of the last 5 years.I have 2 brothers and a sister and their isn't any dispute about my wife and I taking possesion of the home(yet).Our problems are coming by way of the cc my mom gave my sister to help her get her home.After giving it to her she had bills sent to sis's home.After dad passed I found out she responded to a pre-approved offer and got another cc without mom's knowledge.And I found this out while realizing she defaulted on BOTH.Of course she denies applying for the 2nd card even tho all the bills were sent to her adress(sis inst very bright as you can see).....Now my wife and I are trying to figure out a way to protect the only home we've ever known from my sisters childish behavior(54 yrs old lol).I am to blame to because I let our credit go down the tubes when I quit my job to care for dad,who hated debt worse than taxes.I can't go after sis for fraud as this might anger one of my brothers and kill the whole "we want you to have the house" sentiment.After dad passed I called the cc co. and told them what happened and they offered to go after her for fraud but of course mom didn't want that.
There was a will from dad to mom but none from mom down so probate will be next..Dad wanted my oldest bro to be executor so he will take that role I'm sure.I know I am in a really bad spot but any help will be appreciated a great deal.Like they say no good deed goes unpunished.So I guess my questions are..

Is there anyway we can protect our home without the 30k cash?

Would the cc company have any interest in taking payments now,when they can easily get all the money from our home now that moms gone?

Is there anyway to get the house moved to our name with these debts out there?sibs are willing.

Is there anything a lawyer can do to help to protect the house in a situation like this? short of going after stupi..I mean sis.

Sorry this was so disjointed and rambling but thats the state my brain is in..panic will do that to ya..If i can't figure something out I'm afraid of what my wife will do to sis' if our son ends up on the street.6 years of hell has made her kinda mean and short tempered..hehe. Thx alot

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">