• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New here..check question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdlugos

Hi all, new here. Have a question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere, can't get to the bank for the next week so I hope I'm in the right place or close enough. My father passed 5 years ago and I was the executor of the estate. He didn't have much just personal stuff left to me and siblings. When I found out a drug was to blame for all his problems I joined a large drug suit that is just settling now 5 years later. The question is they sent a check payable to me, and then it says after that, executor of the estate of, and then his name. My attorney is from another state and says some states require you to open an estate account. Since I settled his estate 5 years ago and there is nothing to pay, can I simply deposit this check in my account? My siblings signed off years ago and wanted nothing to do with this lawsuit so whatever comes my way, after fees and all kinds of other things listed, even the state wants their state aid back, the rest is mine. Since this is payable to me can I simply deposit it? Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

Hi all, new here. Have a question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere, can't get to the bank for the next week so I hope I'm in the right place or close enough. My father passed 5 years ago and I was the executor of the estate. He didn't have much just personal stuff left to me and siblings. When I found out a drug was to blame for all his problems I joined a large drug suit that is just settling now 5 years later. The question is they sent a check payable to me, and then it says after that, executor of the estate of, and then his name. My attorney is from another state and says some states require you to open an estate account. Since I settled his estate 5 years ago and there is nothing to pay, can I simply deposit this check in my account? My siblings signed off years ago and wanted nothing to do with this lawsuit so whatever comes my way, after fees and all kinds of other things listed, even the state wants their state aid back, the rest is mine. Since this is payable to me can I simply deposit it? Thanks in advance.
How much is the check for?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The bank isn't going to let you deposit this in to your account (well, it shouldn't). You will likely need to reopen probate.

Zigner

...they sent a check payable to me, and then it says after that, executor of the estate of, and then his name.
The check is payable to you in your capacity as administrator of the estate. You can't deposit it in to your personal account and, no matter where you deposit it, you will have to abide by your fiduciary duties as the administrator of the estate.

Jdlugos

The check is payable to you in your capacity as administrator of the estate. You can't deposit it in to your personal account and, no matter where you deposit it, you will have to abide by your fiduciary duties as the administrator of the estate.
And my fiduciary duties have been completed 5 years ago. As I said there is nothing in the estate that needs to be paid at this point. All that part is settled. If there were still bills to be paid I could see a seperate account. There is nothing, it's done.

Zigner

And my fiduciary duties have been completed 5 years ago. As I said there is nothing in the estate that needs to be paid at this point. All that part is settled. If there were still bills to be paid I could see a seperate account. There is nothing, it's done.
That is where you are wrong. If you deposit that check, then you have a fiduciary duty to distribute it according to the estate. Of course, this may be as simple as getting signed documents from each of the other beneficiaries that shows they don't want their portion and then following a relatively simple procedure. If we knew how much money was in play, we could give you some consumer-to-consumer thoughts on it, but you haven't answered that question yet.

Jdlugos

That is where you are wrong. If you deposit that check, then you have a fiduciary duty to distribute it according to the estate. Of course, this may be as simple as getting signed documents from each of the other beneficiaries that shows they don't want their portion and then following a relatively simple procedure. If we knew how much money was in play, we could give you some consumer-to-consumer thoughts on it, but you haven't answered that question yet.
Well it's only the first of several checks in the next couple months so I don't know a total yet. My 2 siblings, the only other two people in the will told me 5 years ago they wanted nothing to do with this. I went ahead because I took care of my ailing father for years by myself. No other beneficiaries.

Zigner

Well it's only the first of several checks in the next couple months so I don't know a total yet. My 2 siblings, the only other two people in the will told me 5 years ago they wanted nothing to do with this. I went ahead because I took care of my ailing father for years by myself. No other beneficiaries.
What they told you five years ago may not apply today.

curb

How much is the check and what is the guesstimate for the remaining checks. You should be transparent about this and notify siblings and get their signatures. Easiest way to handle this is split the proceeds with siblings and then let them gift it back to you if that is actually their wishes. You are asking for legal problems if you deposit the check into your account without checking with them.

Zigner

I'm in touch with my siblings daily. They are fully aware of all of this. Anything else you want to imply?
Huh?

I wasn't implying anything. I was simply stating that your siblings' attitude in this matter may have changed in five years. I also stated that it might be a very simple matter to reopen probate for the limited purpose of depositing and distributing the check(s).

You may wish to see an attorney about this. It shouldn't cost much for a brief consultation.

Jdlugos

How much is the check and what is the guesstimate for the remaining checks. You should be transparent about this and notify siblings and get their signatures. Easiest way to handle this is split the proceeds with siblings and then let them gift it back to you if that is actually their wishes. You are asking for legal problems if you deposit the check into your account without checking with them.
As I said I'm in touch with them daily.

Zigner

As I said I'm in touch with them daily.
You may not realize it, but "I'm in touch with them daily" is not the same as "they have signed new documents to reaffirm their choice to not take their portion of the proceeds."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">