• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Irrevocable Trust Rule?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwbecker46

What is the name of your state? New York State
In a recent meeting with an estate planning lawyer we were told of a new requirement by corporate trustees requiring that a trust set up to provide income for the life of the children then the passing of the principle to the grandchildren is now required to only allow a 4 percent income distribution to the children. It is called the interest and principle rule..?Anyone heard of this new law?

Dandy Don

If they are telling you about this, they should also be able to quote you a specific place to find it if it is law or should be able to refer you to some place where you could find out information about it yourself.

J

jwbecker46

irrevocable trust reply

This new dividend and principal rule according to my lawyer is in place but the terms of it seem abstract as far as the distribution figure of 4 percent. I can see what the intent is as far as protecting the growth potential of a GST but I see many questions as to how it would be implemented. I can find no current information on the web about it...so in our next meeting I will pursue this subject further. Thanks for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">