• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

next of kin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollynoel71

i live in iowa, i am legally married but we have ha16 yearsve not been together for 16 years but we have been married for 17. we have 4 kids one 18 and dead 3 more under 18 and adopted out. my mom is dead and she my closest relative all i have is my current bf i have a house and life insurance when i die if i dont make a will who is my next legal of kin i have no other family and i dont want my husband having anything do i need to get a will for my bf to get everything? or who does me estate go to

justalayman

if you don't want your husband to have anything, you need to divorce him. As of now, he is your next of kin.

A well constructed will will allow you to direct most of your estate as you desire but there are often things a spouse is entitled to regardless of what you put in a will. The only way to avoid such a situation is to get divorced.

If you reside in a community property state at the time of your death, your husband is going to be like a pig in mud because he will end up with most of your estate regardless of what you put in a will.

Last edited:

Proserpina

i live in iowa, i am legally married but we have ha16 yearsve not been together for 16 years but we have been married for 17. we have 4 kids one 18 and dead 3 more under 18 and adopted out. my mom is dead and she my closest relative all i have is my current bf i have a house and life insurance when i die if i dont make a will who is my next legal of kin i have no other family and i dont want my husband having anything do i need to get a will for my bf to get everything? or who does me estate go to

So...you want your husband to pay you alimony, but for him to walk away with nothing?

How is that equitable?

justalayman

So...you want your husband to pay you alimony, but for him to walk away with nothing?

How is that equitable?
Ya, I saw the other thread. What kind of person would be so concerned about not leaving their legal spouse a penny yet wants him to pay alimony?

and after they have been separated for 16 of their 17 year marriage.

Well, I'm glad to know that the OP's chances of getting alimony are near nil and unless OP gets a divorce, husband will get something regardless of what the will says. Don't ya just hate that spousal elective and wow, I took a quick look at the statutes concerning elective share. Iowa might as well be a community property state.

hollynoel71

he was abusive mentally physically and emotinally and was a lousy husband and father his men were more important then his wife and kids

Proserpina

he was abusive mentally physically and emotinally and was a lousy husband and father his men were more important then his wife and kids

And this is relevant...how?

(Clue: It's not)

If it truly WAS important, you would have fixed this situation years ago. Now you're making excuses.

justalayman

for that one year he was abusive. It's great you are no longer with him but don't think that one year is going to make him the golden goose laying golden eggs. If he has not supported you in the following 16 years, the courts are not going to make him start supporting you now.

Proserpina

I'd LOVE to know the timing of the kids' arrival...

3 under 18? And they haven't been together in 16 years?

Let me guess...kelly? :rolleyes:

anteater

Call me a voyeur if you like... But I'm more interested in what this means:

his men were more important then his wife and kids
And, please... please... Don't try to write a will yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">