• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennie_smith1

What is the name of your state? VA
My mother passed away suddenly and there is no estate and no will. Her only asset is about $200 in her checking account. How do I let her creditors know there was no estate and stop the the harrassing calls and reoccuring collection notices?We sent a copy of the death certificate to all creditors.I don't feel I should have to get a lawyer since it was soley her debt.

M

mrsterric

I contacted my mother's creditors after she passed away and sent them copies of the death certificate as well, but I never heard from them again.

Was the checking account in your mom's name only? If you are a joint owner of the account then the money is yours. A joint account passes directly to the joint owner and does not pass through probate.

You would only be responsible for any debts that wwere in your name and her name jointly. Don't pay anything that was in her name only, they are just trying to collect and hoping you will send them the money.

Even though your mother may not have estate assets, you may want to contact the Probate Court in your area and ask the clerks if there is a form that needs to be filed with them so that when the creditors research to see if there is an estate they will see there is nothing there for them to attach the debt to. I would think they would then stop and consider the debt a loss.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">