• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no info on estate - long delay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chattycathy454

This is for the state of Minnesota. In June of 2000, my stepfather passed. That same year in November, my mother (his wife) passed. I still have not received any info about her estate. I live in Michigan. The exectuter of the estate is my stepfather's grandson. He is extremely reluctant to give me any reason why things are taking so long except that because they both passed during the same year, there have been some "unique" as he put it, situations. My mother's will has been filed in probate and I did get a copy of it, but there is nothing spacific except that after bills and taxes, etc. everything goes to me. I have no idea of the size of the estate. There were supposed to be some stocks transferred to me last January and it still hasn't been done. Any ideas? Should I get a lawyer to write them a letter? Thanks.

A

advisor10

11-26-2001

CHATTYCATHY:

Your executor is somewhat irresponsible. He should at least be able to give you some idea of the size of the estate and whether any tax forms have been filed, etc. Ask him to be specific about what the "unique" situations are. Yes, you may need to contact an attorney to act on your behalf, but first you should do some research on your own by checking with the probate court at the county courthouse of the city where the will was filed or where the decedent's death occurred to find out if any financial information or other information is available in the probate file. If there has been any information filed, you can look at it or request that copies be mailed to you. Is this person the executor for your stepfather's estate also--hasn't this estate closed by now?

Before hiring the attorney, you should try to contact the executor by phone or by mail at least one more time and see if he will be forthcoming about revealing any useful information.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">