• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no info on estate - long delay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chattycathy454

This is a follow-up to a question I asked on 11-26. I took your advice and wrote to the executer of my mother's estate and demanded some answers for the delay among other things (she died a year ago) and he still refuses to reply. Should I contact a lawyer? Thanks

A

advisor10

12-8-2001

DEAR CHATTY:

Yes, you DO need an attorney (preferably a probate attorney) to represent you now. The executor will find it a bit more difficult not to respond to someone who he knows is capable of double-checking or being able to intelligently respond to any lies or explanations he may come up with.

There is NO EXCUSE for this executor not to let you know what is going on with the estate, especially you are the major beneficiary! His behavior is very suspicious, and you need to have the estate financial information reviewed by the attorney and/or an accountant to make sure all his transactions are done correctly. I suspect that he may be trying to steal from the estate but I don't want to make any unfounded accusations until he has had a chance to explain himself.

He should at least be able to describe what he has done so far, up to this date, and give a reasonable explanation of the reason for the delay, and if necessary, provide backup documentation as proof of his explanations. If he stalls very much longer, you may need to report his behavior to the probate court and possibly consider having him replaced if he is not doing the job in a timely fashion.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">