• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No money in estate with credit card debt to be paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sqluser8995

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My mom passed away and left me everything in her will. There wasn’t any money left in the estate after paying her medical bills, but there is a house worth roughly $90,000. She had two credit cards and owed 10K on each. Do the credit card companies tend to put liens on something like a house if there is no money left in the estate? Will they try to come after me?

justalayman

your mother cannot leave anything to anybody until the debts of the estate are paid. Property you were given in the will or the house itself will have to be liquidated to pay the credit card debts.

You could also borrow the money to pay the debts (actually it would be to purchase the house from the estate). If you think about it, paying $20k for a house worth $90k is a pretty good deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">