• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Probate was filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrahamchapman

Los Angeles, California

An elderly neighbor in my apartment building died last summer. He and I were good friends. With my assistance, he was able to stay out of a nursing home until the very end. In fact, his family back east lauded my friendship with him and how helpful it was to him and them. He was also wealthy.
On several occasions, he boasted that he had over five million dollars in assets; he even showed me statements of accounts with millions of dollars on occasions when I got his mail for him. On two occasions, he told me that, upon his death, he was giving each of his sisters $400,000, and each niece and nephew $100,000, and that there was still a million dollars left over after giving them all his pre-designated amounts. He told me all this while aware of my low-income situation. How do I find out if any portion of the excess million dollars was left to me?

Important note: It’s been ten months now, and Los Angeles County Probate Indexing Department reports that no probate has been filed under my neighbor’s name.

curb1

If he had no assets such as a house, his accounts could have easily passed to different people in his family who might have been listed on the accounts. Quickest solution would be to make a call "to his family back east". I'm sure they know where the money went.

abrahamchapman

Additional Information

I know that he owned 2 condos back east that a couple of his sisters (and their husbands) are living in.
I know that, excluding himself, his entire family are in low-income situations.
Also, I know that he was supporting all of his sisters (and their husbands).

If he left me some money, aren't they supposed to contact me?
That they did not contact me, or even invite me to his funeral, indicates that if he left some money for me, they don't want me to have it.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I would like to find out before I contact his family whether or not he put to paper any desire to send me to college.

Considering there is no probate case index number, what other publicly-accessible information sources can I use to find out?

How do I get a copy of his Will without the probate case index number?

curb1

You might check with the county (where the condos are) to see how the condos are titled. If the relatives were on the title before he died the condos are likely theirs now. If the condos are still titled to your friend, it means that probate might not have ever been opened. If there was no will found you are most likely out of luck. The relatives might have been on the bank accounts, also.

I think your only hope is to make some phone calls and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">