• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No receipt from my lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lance77407

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tx
I posted a few days ago about my old will and thanks to all of you,I went to see a lawyer today and got myself a new will.
She said we only take cash or check ,but I did not bring my checkbook as most places would take credit cards.
So I went to the bank next door and got some cash and gave it to her.
She prepared the will and gave me the original copy.
I asked her what should I do with my old will,she said she would keep it for me,I decided to take it home with me and I tore it and threw it in the garbage can/
questions-
did I do the right thing-destroy the old will?
I have made copies of my old will and give it to my advisor,should I GET IT back from him since I have a new will now?
and what about a receipt,I know it is not tax deductible,but is she supposed to give me a receipt?
The bank teller laughed and said that this is how they can avoid keeping record?
thanks in advance.

anteater

did I do the right thing-destroy the old will?
I'd say "yes." You don't want the old will floating around and potentially causing confusion. I would have shredded it, but the trash can is probably alright.

I have made copies of my old will and give it to my advisor,should I GET IT back from him since I have a new will now?
Don't know what you mean by "advisor".... But, if you can, I'd suggest getting the copies of the old will.

and what about a receipt,I know it is not tax deductible,but is she supposed to give me a receipt?
I don't see it as a pressing matter one or the other. Unless the attorney is less than scrupulous and now denies that you paid. Still, i would want a receipt.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't see it as a pressing matter one or the other. Unless the attorney is less than scrupulous and now denies that you paid. Still, i would want a receipt.
There is another possibility. It will be much harder to prove (if required) malpractice down the road if there is no proof of who prepared the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">