• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cepeters

. My wife's grandmother (on her father's side) passed away in Ohio. She left no will and her husband (my wifes grandfather) passed several years ago. My wife's father is deceased. His two brothers (my wifes uncles) are still alive. We live in California so are very removed from the situation. We initially understood that since my wife's father was deceased, that the estate would be split by three. 1/3 to each uncle and the last 1/3 split amongst my wife's fathers children (my wife has one full sister and 2 half sisters). The uncles have secured an attorney and are telling everyone how this will be happening. Now, the estate will mostly go to the two uncles and my wifes mother. They are saying that 2/3 of the estate will be split amongst those three individuals. Then the remaining third will be evenly split between the two uncles and the remaining children(my wife and sisters). They are suggestng that the previously deceased husband's value of the estate was two thirds and should go to the surviving sons and the wife of the deceased son. The now deceased grandmothers estate share was 1/3 and this is what goes to them again and
the children. I would consider retaining an attorney to defend my wifes interests. Could you please tell me if anything is there or are the uncles telling the truth?

Last edited:

ALawyer

At first look, like you, I would assume that it goes 1/3rd to each brother and 1/3rd divided up amonst the 3 children of the deceased brother.

BUT it may well turn on the exact dates of the deaths, whether there were Wills or not along the line (and their povisions), and the nature of the property held and how it was titled and beneficially owned and any the special provisions of Ohio law. I am NOT an Ohio lawyer so that's not for me to say.

BUT I can say this. Pay for some advice from an Ohio lawyer who represents your wife's interest if if the estate is at all substantial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">