• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will, dead person gave me item

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jakthebomb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have purchased a computer for my Grandfather and he died last week, his wife is dead and he had a girlfriend. He never remarried nor engaged. My grandfather doesn't have a will, his two daughters want me to get the computer from my grandfather's apartment but the girlfriend is being difficult.

What are my legal grounds? Since I have receipts with Serial Numbers on them can I use them a proof?

Thanks to all that help
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have purchased a computer for my Grandfather and he died last week, his wife is dead and he had a girlfriend. He never remarried nor engaged. My grandfather doesn't have a will, his two daughters want me to get the computer from my grandfather's apartment but the girlfriend is being difficult.

What are my legal grounds? Since I have receipts with Serial Numbers on them can I use them a proof?

Thanks to all that help
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: yes, you can use the receipts as proof that you paid for the computer.
Was there a warranty? If so, was the warranty in your name or grandfather's?

HomeGuru

he actually gave it to Grandpa....so it belongs to his estate.
**A: if the OP bought the computer for Grandpa as a gift then you are correct if there was no intention of getting it back. If bought for Grandpa to use and not to own, then the ownership would be with the OP.

jakthebomb

**A: if the OP bought the computer for Grandpa as a gift then you are correct if there was no intention of getting it back. If bought for Grandpa to use and not to own, then the ownership would be with the OP.
Hmm... Would I need to prove that I let him use it not own?

Isis1

OP, is there an assigned executor of the estate?

HG, would it be more appropriate for the executor to go with him just to cover bases?

curb1

Daughters need to open probate as soon as possible. Otherwise there might be some things "missing". There needs to be an immediate accounting of all of his assets.

How large is his estate? What kind of assets?

HomeGuru

Daughters need to open probate as soon as possible. Otherwise there might be some things "missing". There needs to be an immediate accounting of all of his assets.

How large is his estate? What kind of assets?
**A: must not be large if grand daughter has to buy him a computer and his gf wants it.

ecmst12

Girlfriend has no standing. With no will and no spouse, the estate goes to the children. If there's no estate and only personal items, then the children get to decide what gets done with the personal items, but there's nothing to open probate on. Even if there IS an estate though, I didn't think probate had much to do with how personal effects were distributed. But I could certainly be wrong about that.

anteater

If there's no estate and only personal items, then the children get to decide what gets done with the personal items, but there's nothing to open probate on. Even if there IS an estate though, I didn't think probate had much to do with how personal effects were distributed. But I could certainly be wrong about that.
In theory, everything that the deceased owned is subject to probate.

In practice, for tangible personal property without title to worry about, the "Whoever swipes it first without anybody being able to prove who swiped it" doctrine rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">