• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will law in West Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pissed Off

i am from west virginia, my mother and father are both dead, mom just died in feb of this yr. there is no will. i have 3 brothers, and 2 step brothers. we are interested in knowing about how the property will we divided. should it be equally divided between the 6 of us? one step brother said he went to a lawyer and is saying that him and his brother get half of the property, and the rest of us have to split the other half between the 4 of us. this just doesnt seem at all fair to us. so thats why we're asking for advice. its bad enough we just lost our mother, without one person thinking they deserve it all when they were never there for mom at all. so please help! thank you.

A

advisor10

MAY 8, 2001

DEAR PO:

Take a reality check!

Even though you don't think it's fair, that might be what the law says and that may be what happens (unless the stepbrother was given incorrect information or lied to you).

Whether or not they were ever "there for your mother or not" has no bearing--they are entitled to get something as her children, just as you are. Be glad that you are getting anything at all.

You may need to get your own attorney to get a second opinion about this. The reference book I read says that when both parents are deceased, all children share equally (so I assume that would include stepchildren too).

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">