• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will, Lots of Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SweetyChique

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My father recently passed away and he had no will (that we know of). There was, however, life insurance, and I was the beneficiary. The home he owned was not paid for and has since gone through foreclosure. His car was not paid for and it was repossessed. Other than a bank account, I don't believe he had any other assets. One thing I DO know he had was a MOUNTAIN of bills. As the beneficiary of the life insurance, am I responsible for paying his creditors? Also, assuming there are no assets, is it still necessary for his "estate" to go through probate? Am I responsible for initiating this process? Once initiated, how do I decline the executor/representative position? I don't want to "inherit" anyone else's debt.

divgradcurl

As the beneficiary of the life insurance, am I responsible for paying his creditors?
No.

Also, assuming there are no assets, is it still necessary for his "estate" to go through probate?
Chech with the courthouse in the county in which he died -- they will have info available on whether or not probate is required, and also will have information on how to let creditors know there's nothing left for them! Chances are, if there are no appreciable assets, no probate will be required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">