• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will, need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Romeos Tune

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My Mom just passed away a week ago. She always talked of having a will and that her house that is payed for would belong to me and that my Sister was not to get anything. At any rate, no will can be found. She talked with several people who agree that she wanted the house to belong to me but with no will, what happens if my Sister decides she wants half. There is a twist of course, When my Mom had a heart attack years ago and was no longer able to work, I moved in with her and we helped each other really. I paid her bills and enjoyed living in the house I grew up in. Me & Mom moved to a new house prior to the falling out with her and my Sister and my Sister was to pay 500.00 per month to buy this house. She never payed anything and did many thousands of dollars in damages to the house. After a few years finally Mom took her to court and won a judgement of 15k. My sister never paid a dime of this.

So my question is, if no will is found will she get half of this house which would force me to sell it and it would be lost. And with several witnesses that knew Mom's wishes would this help in court?

Thanks for any response.

divgradcurl

Romeos Tune said:
So my question is, if no will is found will she get half of this house which would force me to sell it and it would be lost.
The house would pass by OK's intestacy laws. If you and your sister are the only heirs, then it would be split 50-50 between the two of you.

And with several witnesses that knew Mom's wishes would this help in court?
They might be useful if there were a will contest, but they will have no bearing when there is no will.

Unfortunately for you, the only way a deceased can make his or her wishes known and enforced is via a valid will...

S

seniorjudge

A living will is a power of attorney for healthcare purposes and dies with the person.

Are there any heirs besides you and sis? I.e., mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter?

Google oklahoma intestacy succession

We intend the natural and probable consequences of our actions; your mother intended for her property to pass under the intestate laws of your state because she made no will.

I am assuming the deed to the place was just in her name, correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">